How to downgrade to 3.55 from Rogero 4.21 cfw

Written by Tech84 on October 29, 2012

(UPDATE: Rogero has released an updated downgrader the lets you downgrade to 3.55 from any firmware. I have created a guide and here is the link on my tutorial on how to downgrade to 3.55 from any CFW)

If your PS3 is already running Rogero 4.21 and you want to upgrade to Rogero 4.30 and you are having some trouble updating it to Rogero 4.30, or you just want a “clean” install from 3.55 to Rogero 4.30.

Requirements:
A USB Flash drive (Must be big enough to accommodate the installation files) or an external HD
A PS3 running Rogero 4.21 cfw ( this is also applicable to PS3’s already on Rogero 4.30 cfw)

Downloads:
Download Rogero 3.55 cfw here (Mirror here)
Download Downgrader PUP here (Mirror here)
Download QA Toggle pkg here

Here are the steps to Downgrade to 3.55 from Rogero 4.21
IMPORTANT!
Remove any discs inside your PS3 when performing the update.

1. Download the Downgrader PUP, and rename the file to “PS3UPDAT.PUP”
2. In your USB flash drive or external HD, create a new folder and name it “PS3″
3. Inside the “PS3″ folder, create a new folder and this time name it “UPDATE”
4. Copy the Downgrader PUP (which is now named “PS3UPDAT.PUP”) inside the “UPDATE” folder
5. Insert the USB or external HD on to your PS3 and then go to “System Update” and select “Update Via Storage Media”
6. Follow any onscreen instructions that would come up.
7. Once the update is finished, you will now be on a hybrid CFW3.55, it will still show you have Firmware version 4.21 from system settings (this is normal)
8. Enable QA Toggle flag:

• 8a. Download the QA Toggle pkg
  • 8b. Copy the file to the root of your USB or external HD
  • 8c. Insert your USB/External HD to your PS3
  • 8d. On your PS3, go to “Install package Files” and install the QA Toggle PKG
  • 8e. Once installed, run the “Rebug Toggle QA” on your PS3, (The screen will go Black and you will hear 2 or 3 Beeps and when finished it will go back to the PS3’s XMB, and if error comes up, just repeat this step.)
  • 8f. Go to “Network Settings” (do not open it) then all at the same time, press the following key combo : L1 + L2 + L3 (press left stick) + R1 + R2 + dpad_down (its hard you might want to get an extra hand for this)
  • 8g. If the QA Flag was done correctly, you will see Edy Viewer, Debug Settings, and Install Package Files.

9. Now we can install either an Official Firmware 3.55 ( do not install any OFW higher than 3.55!), or 3.55 Kmeaw or Rogero 3.55. Here we will install Rogero 3.55
10. Download the Rogero 3.55 cfw and rename the file to “PS3UPDAT.PUP”
11. In your USB or External HD, go to PS3 then UPDATE and replace the old “PS3UPDAT.PUP” (downgrader PUP) with the new “PS3UPDAT.PUP” (Rogero 3.55 cfw)
12. Insert the USB or external HD on to your PS3 and then go to “System Update” and select “Update Via Storage Media” (It has been reported that doing this in recovery mode is more successful!)

Here’s How to go to Recovery Mode

12a. While your PS3 is on, turn it off by pressing and holding the power button until it turns off
    12b. When the PS3 is OFF, press and hold the power button until you hear two beeps
    12c. When this happens, the PS3 should boot up in recovery Mode (if it does not, repeat steps 12a and 12c)
    12d. While on recovery mode, select option 6 (System Update)

13. Follow any onscreen instructions that would come up.
14. And your done! You are now on Rogero 3.55 cfw and you can now install Rogero 4.21 cfw or Rogero 4.30 cfw!
(Important note: Run the Rebug Toggle QA again (step #8e to 8g) if you are going to continue and install Rogero 4.21 cfw or Rogero 4.30 cfw!)

So to make it short:
1. Install the downgrader PUP
2. Toggle QA
3. Install Rogero 3.55
4. Toggle QA
5. Install Rogero 4.30 or Rogero 4.21

Read here if you want to learn How to install Rogero 4.30 cfw on your PS3

Also, after updating to the latest Rogero CFW, you would also need to update your Multiman to compliment your updated CFW, here’s the link on How to install Multiman 4.18.0.

Credits to Rogero and the Forums at Tortuga Cove

“This CFW was tested on most PS3 Models by different testers and no problems were encountered. But as any CFW release you must install it with caution and by following proper instructions, No one will be held responsible for any damage caused.” – Rogero

107 Responses to “How to downgrade to 3.55 from Rogero 4.21 cfw”

1. dave says:

i follow guide fine i finish step 8g and start 9 but firmwares i try are non recognised or i get this 8002f157 my firmware says 4.21 i can still add .pkgs multiman still works but games dont boot any ides.

2. dave says:

after i attempted to downgrade from rogero 4.21 using the downgrader pup the fw says 4.21 i belive it is meant to say that however when i boot the ps3 should it say playstation or rogero mine says playstation it used to say rogero

• Tech84 says:

After downgrading, it’s on a hybrid cfw but not Rogero so it should say only playstation. It’s after you install the Rogero 3.55 should it go back to saying rogero again.

3. luis says:

onde encontro “Configurações de Rede” nao queriam era dizer definiçoes de rede?

4. luis says:

e tanbem nao sei o que quer dizer “dpad_down”

5. luis says:

estou no 4.21 nao comsigo voltar para 3.55

6. luis says:

a em algum lugar que eu possa ver um video de como fazer isso??

7. luis says:

nao estou a conseguir fazer o passo 8f

8. luis says:

nao estou conseguindo fazer o passo 8f

• Tech84 says:

8e repetir paso de nuevo hasta oír 3 pitidos y luego intente de nuevo 8f.

(QA no toggle trabajando un par de veces es normal, según su creador, yo estoy tratando de encontrar el enlace).

9. Ted says:

Hi I got mine working, i just followed the steps

1. Downgraded from 4.21cfw using Downgrader PUP normally
    2. Run Toggle QA
    3. Installed Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW (via recovery mode)
    4. Run Toggle QA again
    5. Installed Rogero 4.30 cfw (via recovery mode)

Thanks!

10. dave says:

Hi Ted i think your steps i have done 1 and 2 but now cannot install any more fw

11. dave says:

i am still trying my ps3 will detect the downgrade.pup and run to 100% then say corrupted data 8002f157 ive tried other cfw but the say no applicable update was found

12. coolstorybro says:

Hey thanks for this article, you answered a few of my questions on Yahoo Answers.. I’m on v4.25, can I still use this method for v4.25???

13. johnny says:

i cant update to 3.55 via recovery mode. it just says there is no applicable update data.

14. hassan says:

Can i downgrade Rogero 3.40 to 3.55 on above mentioned method. Replay soon….

15. hassan says:

plz can anyone tell how to downgrade Rogero 4.30 to 3.55. replay soon.

16. Ted says:

Yes you can do this on Rogero 4.30

17. anish123 says:

im on 4.31 OFW can i do this?

18. NETRAX says:

HI pls help
    when i try to install the 3.55 rogero
    it tell me that the latest version is installed and no need for this update

19. Tech84 says:

What firmware are you on right now?

20. Dan says:

Hello tech84 hey look I was in 3.55 kmeaw and then I install Rogero 4.30 v2. Via recovery mode do everything went right but the wierd thing is the system information appears 4.31 but when I turn on the ps3 I get the warning message and Rogero ps3 on the screen but I get error message on multiman and I can’t install any pkg.

21. NETRAX says:

THANKS
    I followed the steps
    and it work fine

22. Kriugeris652 says:

Hi Download QA Toggle pkg dosnt longer exist or been removed can you upload it again
    Thanks

23. Matej says:

I have 4.25, can I do it?

24. Lewedlou says:

i want to ask if i must i use QA Toggle.okg and if i not use what will hapen

• Tech84 says:

cannot say, but it is advised to toggle QA first.

I did my first upgrade and did not toggle QA and it worked, but for some people, they say they had errors when they did not toggle QA first.

25. gabs says:

Hi. Thanks for your effort ! My question is : Can I downgrade from 3.72 using this method ? Thank you.

26. Sud says:

I want to downgrade my ps3 from Rogero 4.30 to 3.55 Kmeaw, however just concerned about getting Bricked. Till step 14 I understood everything but what is this rebug? Do I have to rebug once I am successful till step 14 and do not want to upgrade to 4.21 or 4.30. I want to use 3.55 Kmeaw with multiman.

• Tech84 says:

It mean to dehash your PS3 first when you are already on 3.55 before installing any other firmware for a safer install

• Tech84 says:

Basically just to Toggle QA

• Sud says:

Thanks Tech84. So what I have understood is: If I am on OFW 3.55 and wants to install any CFW then I need to dehash. Whereas If I am already on 4.30 rogero and wants to downgrade to 3.55 CFW Kmeaw I need not to worry about dehash after step 14.

• Tech84 says:

You would only need to dehash if you are not originally from 3.55 OFW/CFW. Meaning you were from higher Official firmware (3.60, 4.00 etc..) and then downgraded down to 3.55, that’s the only time for a mandatory dehash.

If you downgraded from Rogero 4.30 or 4.21, you would not need to dehash. But you would still need to toggle QA when installing any higher CFW or OFW while you are on 3.55.

27. Sud says:

Apologies for this stupid question but will I have to flash or dehash after step 14??

28. amanda says:

eu posso instalar o rogero cfw 4.21 em cima do ofw 4.21 travado corre o risco do brick obrigado

29. Senoiodal123 says:

hi, first of all, thanks for all the help you bring for us!
    I need some help, my PS3 Fat 40gb (oldie) has OFW 4.21, can I try these steps on it to downgrade it to 3.55 for the install Rogero?

30. kenneth says:

Hi..i accidentally updated my ps3 to sony v4.21 can i use these settings to down grade I’m tring to jailbreak my ps3 without “bricking” it also can i ask qhats the easiest way to jailbreak if i can using v4.21

31. Flamo says:

I have the latest version of sony’s OFW, must I use a hardware flasher to downgrade or there is any other way ?

32. Kevin says:

Okay I done all the above steps and I noticed it still said “4.21” which you stated is normal. I tried to install 3.55 Rogero and 3.55 Kmeaw. I get an error both times. Saying it is already updated once its about to update. Am I doing something wrong? I used the Toggle QA before trying as well. A little help please if you dont mind. :D

33. Sergio says:

First of all, thanks Tech84 for the entire guide. i have multiman 4.18 and it says i have PS3 System: Firmware 3.55 [ SC-36 / Standard] can i downgrade it to 3.55 with this or do i have to downgrade it with another program? this is to upgrade it to ROGERO 4.30.

34. eddie says:

downgrade from 4.30 to 3.55 please help me experts

35. Stew says:

Im on 4.21, none of my .pkg files will open, goes to black screen.. Toggle qa doesnt work either only blackscreen no beeps or restart… I need to get to 3.55 so I can remarry my bluray drive..

36. Lon says:

Hi,

I’m using the cfw 4.30 and I have many errors on various things. I cannot install a PSN game (error while trying to install the pkg) and 50% of the backups I try send me back error codes or go back to xmb.

Does a clean installation will help? I can’t remmeber but I think I was on cfw 3.55 kmeaw before installing rogero 4.30 (only updated it by recovery mode). Can it be the reason why I have so much issues or my usb dives suck?

Thanks for the tutorial anyway!

37. Nino says:

Hello guys, i downloaded the Rogero 3.55 from the link but the file is named “V3.7A.PUP” is this correct?!

Anyone got the correct hash values so that i can check it out.

Thanks a lot (i am really new to this and fear ending up with a brick)

38. Nino says:

Another question, when using a USB stick do i have to Format it to FAT32 as well? Or does this only count for External HDD?

39. pk says:

i have 4.31 pleaze help me downgrade to 3.55… step by step

40. ps3 says:

hi everyone i tried your methode but it gave me “the data is corrupted (8002F957)”

• Tech84 says:

try installing it via recovery mode

• ps3 says:

I have 4.21 version on my ps3 and i want to downgrade it to 3.55, i tried the methode which you gave us but i failed in step 7, it gave me “the data is corrupted (8002F957)”, and you said to me “try installing it via recovery mode” and i did but it gaves me “the data is corrupted (8002F2C5)”. Could you help me pleaaaase.

41. lfogs says:

I would like to know if it’s possible to downgrade from OFW 4.25 to OFW 3.55 or CFW 3.55…

I really need to do it if I want to install Rogero’s last CFW…

Anyone help?!

42. GAMER says:

I would like to know if its possible to install latest MULTIMAN without installing ROGERO? I just bought a PS3 with Firmware 4.31, 320 GB (Cech-3004B). Can any1 help answer? Thanx!

where i can download the downgrader pup ??? heelp plzzz :(

44. Aswin says:

Hi, I have the firmware 4.25 OFW, but now i want to downgrade to 3.55. Can this be done? i have the CECH-2512A. I’ve tried with the above mentioned but no luck. The downgrader is not recognized when trying to upgrade the system file.

Could you please help me out?

Thanks

45. Aswin says:

how would i know if the firmware is CFW or OFW?

Thanks

46. gs says:

hai sir…
    i have ps3 model no. CECH 2008B.. and his update 4.31 sony orignal firmware…
    possible is downgrade…
    and play games in hdd… without hardware E3 flasher….
    thanks….

47. tamer says:

i tray to do downgrade from 4.30 rebug
    to 3.55 i take the steeps download the files
    install the first 4.21 to 3.55
    after that the program toggle QA dosn’t work
    i stuck in this point
    cant go to any firmware help me pleeeeeez

48. StrikeFury30 says:

Rogero 3.55 Links is dead, reupload?

49. Mujeeb says:

Hi,
    I tried to downgrade as per your instruction over the site , but I get the error message like “Update data of version 3.56 or later can be installed on this system. (8002F967). Can you please help me?
    Regards

50. Mujeeb says:

My PS3 model: CECH2503B, Fat slim 320GB, CFW4.25

51. RABBITGUYZ says:

Hi Master,

I downloaded the pspupdate file and when i try to install via storage,it says the data is corrupted. why?

thank you.