This is for PS3’s already running CFW and you want to downgrade back to 3.55 for testing purposes, or to try out other firmwares or for some other weird reason you may have.
A USB Flash drive (Must be big enough to accommodate the installation files) or an external HD
A PS3 running any cfw (this means this work on Rogero 4.21, 4.30, 4.30 V2.05, 4.40 v1.02 and Rogero 4.40 V1.03)
Here are the steps to downgrade to 3.55 from any CFW
Remove any discs inside your PS3 when performing the update.
1. Download the “3.55 Rogero Downgrader RSOD.PUP”, and rename the file to “PS3UPDAT.PUP”
2. In your USB flash drive or external HD, create a new folder and name it “PS3″
3. Inside the “PS3″ folder, create a new folder and this time name it “UPDATE”
4. Copy the 3.55 Rogero Downgrader RSOD.PUP (which is now named “PS3UPDAT.PUP”) inside the “UPDATE” folder
5. Insert the USB or external HD on to your PS3 and on the XMB, go to “System Update” and select “Update Via Storage Media”
6. Follow any onscreen instructions that would come up.
7. Once the update is finished, you will now be on Rogero CFW3.55, it wills till show the old CFW on the system settings, this is normal.
8. Now you can either stay on 3.55 or update to a higher cfw version.
Important!: Before installing any higher OFW or CFW, you need to Toggle QA first. The reason your PS3 still shows the old CFW version is because the syscon version will still have the old cfw version. Hence we need to Toggle QA first because if you update your PS3 without toggling QA will results to problems such as bricking (and you don’t want that).
Here’s how Toggle QA:
1. Download the QA Toggle pkg here.
2. Copy the file to the root of your USB or external HD
3. Insert your USB/External HD to your PS3
4. On your PS3, go to “Install package Files” and install the QA Toggle PKG
5. Once installed, run the “Rebug Toggle QA” on your PS3, (The screen will go Black and you will hear 2 or 3 Beeps and when finished it will go back to the PS3′s XMB, and if error comes up, just repeat this step.)
6. Go to “Network Settings” (do not open it) then all at the same time, press the following key combo : L1 + L2 + L3 (press left stick) + R1 + R2 + dpad_down (its hard you might want to get an extra hand for this)
7. If the QA Flag was done correctly, you will see Edy Viewer, Debug Settings, and Install Package Files. (if not, repeat step number 5, 6 and 7)
8. Now you can update to any CFW you want.
To make it short:
1. Install the downgrader PUP
2. Toggle QA
3. Install install any CFW you want.
Credits to Rogero and the Forums at Tortuga Cove
“This CFW was tested on most PS3 Models by different testers and no problems were encountered. But as any CFW release you must install it with caution and by following proper instructions, No one will be held responsible for any damage caused.” – Rogero